Friday, March 27, 2015

Post Experience: Why I am Grateful We Didn't Just Send Money

One week before leaving for Pine Ridge, South Dakota I wrote a blog post addressing the question of “why not just send money?” It’s funny looking back on this post and realizing regardless of how connected I thought I was with the bigger picture, i.e.- it’s more than money, it took living it and experiencing it to actually understand. Upon returning from Pine Ridge I feel that my life has been turned on top of itself. I have exposed pieces of myself that I didn’t know, or had forgotten, existed. I have made scary choices and I remain unsure of whether I am making a mistake or whether I am moving forward. So, only 12 days later, I offer this post to demonstrate the radical shift I feel within myself and the experience that I most definitely would not have had, and continue to have, if I had just sent money.

Human connection is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking experiences to live. You can connect with a spirit, with an idea, a practice, a song, a piece of art, a dance, a movement, a moment, and, most importantly to me, another human. The scariest thing about connection is the impermanence in the permanence. You will never ever have that moment again, only the memory of that moment.

For many individuals you can never forget the experience of deep connection, it touches you beyond the surface level, it moves you beyond skin deep. Every connection we open ourselves to become experiences that change us, shape us, and leave us at least little bit different. Human connections carve out a piece of you, a sliver of you “owned” by another soul, object, or experience. That is to say you loose part of yourself in connection. But in this loss you also gain something. It is symbiotic, to an extent. You gain insight, understanding, and empathy. You learn how to be compassionate. You simultaneously selflessly and selfishly experience.

This last week of my life is making me stop and think about connections. It has me questioning love, love of myself and love of others. It has me wondering what is wrong and what is right. In a very real way it has turned my own worldview on its head. I am thankful that I am open to connections, open to listening to the world around me, but also recognize the hurt and pain that comes with these experiences. Life is duplicitous in the way it teaches us and as students of life we are forced to face this duplicity. Today, and everyday, I strive to not rationalize, validate, or order the duplicitous feelings inside of me but to instead let them come and go and recognize them in the moment. If you do not feel contradictions or hardship I would question whether you were living life to it’s fullest.

Anyone who is open to experiencing is in a constant state of gratitude and mourning. No moment can ever be recreated, no matter how much we try. Technology has made it so that you can stay in constant contact, you can recreate some semblance of connecting, but you still will never feel it in the same way again. Time moves on, life moves on, and who you are is in constant flux.

There is a moment, or many moments, in the human life where you feel like two bodies may actually be one. You feel like two minds are on the same page, churning from different perspectives and life experiences but united in a single moment to feel together. This is the power of human connection.

I am grateful that I was reminded of this power in this last week when I was living outside of my comfort zone. I am grateful to remember how much growth comes with the feelings of vulnerability and openness to anything. In this moment I am grateful to mourn.

I believe that human nature is fragile in its resilience. What a single individual, or a group of individuals, can experience and move beyond is amazing to me. There is so much hurt and trauma in this world that the fact that we all move forward is truly incredible.

Growth comes with anger, pain, suffering, grief, and sorrow. It also is how we add something better to our lives, how we pursue happiness, contentedness, joy, exuberance, love, and compassion.

We all are where we are, in this exact moment, though it is constantly changing and transitioning. Living life means we are along for the ride. Some of us hold on to comfort and close ourselves to the harsh reality at times, in order to protect ourselves, but each of us has moments when we cannot ignore what is happening around us and how that changes the way our hearts beat.

I was changed through my experiences.

I traveled to South Dakota armed with a sturdy base of theory and intellect, naively believing that this was enough. I arrived with expectations, the biggest being that I would be able to understand everything I saw as long as I listened.

I left South Dakota, and the big bad west in general, with a realization that I will never understand but I can always feel. I can never shut myself off from feeling, from loving, or from connecting. Some connections last a lifetime and others are only there for a brief moment, a moment to remind you that you are human. I am grateful for those reminders.

As I transition back into the everyday routine, into paying bills and turning in assignments and serving people their dinner I am faced with a great sense of mourning. I am mourning for the people who hurt, everyday, and who I can forget about because of the nature of this fucked up world. I am mourning for those eyes I will never again gaze deeply into. I am mourning for the lack of smiling children in my life. I am mourning for the feeling of a single purpose when I wake up everyday. I am mourning for paths that I have decided to turn my back to. I am mourning for moments of love that cannot withstand the reality of life.

I am grateful for the mourning. The mourning means it matters, the mourning means I care. The mourning means that I will always be striving for connection. The mourning is provocative.

It provokes me to greet everyday thankfully. It provokes me to never forget, but to gracefully move forward. It provokes me to give instead of take. It provokes me to always be thankful.

Human connection motivates me to love and listen with my whole heart, body, and mind.


In this moment of gratitude and mourning I could not be happier that we did not just send the money.

-Wendell Robinson, Warren Wilson College Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment