Wednesday, May 6, 2015

In The “Ending” of One Story There Is The Beginning of Another


Every time I leave Pine Ridge and say doksha (see you later) to my family there, I am humbled and shed tears that seem to come from so many directions.  I cry because I will miss the meaningful connections, the supportive learning environment, and the real and natural way of “being” felt within the Pine Ridge Community I have shared time with.  I am constantly in awe of the openness, love, and teachings so freely shared by our hosts.  It sometimes seems beautiful and strange as I pass slowly farther away from the familiar sage smells, brown rolling hills and buttes, and the soul opening painted sunsets.

There has always been a spiritual nature, fluidly interwoven throughout all of my exchange experiences with this community.  Even my dreams seem to shift and change throughout the week.  It feels that every waking and non-waking moment is an opportunity to “see” in a different way and be shown the path I need to follow.  These experiences, even so far away from my home in North Carolina, bring me into a new connection and gratitude for my family and community back home.  It prompts me to pause and reflect on the important pieces in my life and the people I love. Throughout these experiences I ask the questions: What is my purpose? And how am I actively living in this way? These feelings help me to review my usual routine and inspire a need to share and give back more to my community.  It brings me to “be” more fully myself and to love in a more powerful way. 

One of the pieces this trip allowed me to further integrate and appreciate is the importance of human connection.  I observed in my interactions and other’s how meaningful and significant it can be to simply listen and witness someone else’s development and story.  Holding this intentional space has the power to strengthen a community.  I have come to believe that it can be a mutually beneficial and a powerful healing modality.  

In the “ending” of one story there is the beginning of another.  I feel that so many of the lessons learned through the WWC and Pine Ridge Reservation exchange can be transferred to other communities.  Through my experiences with this exchange, I have found that it is important to understand one’s cultural identity, language, and history.  With this knowledge and understanding, there is a clear need for the continual personal development of cultural awareness and sensitivity.  I have observed through service projects the potential community and generational benefit from emphasizing the importance of supporting the youth and fostering their empowerment. In addition, I have been inspired by the practice and connection between the self, nature, and spirit.  And through all of these lessons, I have and continue to feel the responsibility to give back to community.

I look forward to supporting the development of future WWC/Pine Ridge exchange programs.  And in turn, I am excited to follow the stories of future participants and the ways in which they develop through their engagement in this exchange, inspiration from their guides, and their motivation in continuing this meaningful work.


- Julia Lehr

No comments:

Post a Comment